National Real Estate Trends
- Americans will have a better chance to find a home in 2022, but will face a competitive seller’s market as first-time buyer demand outmatches the inventory recovery. Additionally, with listing prices, rents and mortgage rates all expected to climb while incomes rise, 2022 will present a mixed bag of housing affordability challenges and opportunities.
- More sellers are expected to enter the market as buyer competition remains fierce and we anticipate strong home sales growth.
- Affordability will increasingly be a challenge as interest rates and prices rise, but remote work may expand search areas and enable younger buyers to find their first homes sooner than they might have otherwise.
- Suburbs still the place to be. The pandemic continues to shift what Americans look for in a home.
- Here is the Realtor.com 2022 Forecast for Key Housing Indicators
Housing Indicator 2022 Realtor.com Forecast 2021 Realtor.com
Housing Data Expectations
Existing Median Sales Price
Appreciation Up 2.9% Up 12%
Existing Home Sales Up 6.6% 6.0 Million
Existing Home For Sale Inventory Up 0.3% Down 18%
Mortgage Rates Ave. 3.3% Ave. 3.0%
Single Family Home Starts Up 5% Up 15%
Homeownership Rate 65.8% 65.5%